Give Yourself the Gift of Protected Time
At this exclusive retreat, you’ll write in a secluded mountain setting, freed from the demands of your daily life. This inspiring place, located on what’s now officially known as Mormon Row, is the perfect historical setting for a writing retreat. Take time out for yourself to get a great start on your book or rev-up the momentum on a book you’ve already started. Regardless of where you are in your writing process, this retreat will jump-start your writing project while also re-energizing your life!
If you’ve always wanted to write a book, then you need and deserve this opportunity (Yes, I’m talking to YOU!). Our pace will be steady, but fun and relaxed. I create an upbeat, encouraging, and intellectually stimulating space for very productive writing sessions.
MY MOTTO: “Writing is thinking, so let’s think together!” Be prepared to share your writing each day with other authors. Look forward to regular breaks for tasty meals and snacks to fuel your body and energize your mind.
Accomplish a MONTH’s Worth of Writing in a Few, Well-Focused Days!
Our laser-focused writing sessions will help you make a MONTH’S worth of progress on your book during this retreat! Please bring your laptop, unless you prefer to write by hand in your own notebook (or bring both). You’ll share ideas and drafts of your writing to get the supportive but constructive feedback you need from me and other writers.
Gallup Along with a “Riding Group” to Spur You On
Individuals who participate in a writing group always benefit from getting and giving concrete, specific reactions to other people’s writing. This means you’ll have a real audience who will empower you to think from both a writer’s and a reader’s point of view about your manuscript as it unfolds. Participants at this retreat will be writing nonfiction books, either to share their expertise or to tell their life story. The two genres (expert books and autobiographies) overlap because experts know the power of telling their own story, and autobiographers chronicle the knowledge, wisdom, and expertise they’ve earned over their life.
“I loved getting to share that with other people and getting their feedback.” —Elizabeth Allen
“The best writing retreat you will ever go to! JUST DO IT!” — Mukee Okan
One-of-a-Kind Lodging at the Moulton Ranch Cabins
Moulton Ranch Cabins, 202 Mormon Row Rd, Kelly, WY 83011
Located next to my great grandfather T.A. Moulton’s famous barn in Grand Teton National Park, the Moulton Ranch Cabins offer a peaceful, awe-inspiring place for writing your book. The cabins are all very clean and well maintained with modern plumbing. They are also in high demand. Individuals and families reserve them at least a year in advance and regularly return to this one-of-a-kind location with its beautiful mountain views. Here is a MAP and a brochure about the cabins to download. For questions, phone 307-733-3749.
For our exclusive book writing retreat, I have made special arrangements with the owners (my cousins) to reserve the entire property for the retreat. If you would like to bring a travel partner who would not participate in the retreat, but would be willing to share a queen-sized bed with you, a few people will be able to do that for the cost of lodging. The sooner you register, the more likely this is possible. Contact me for more information asap.
Wi-fi access is available but limited. No wi-fi access is available inside the cabins. Cell phone service is mostly good for the four major carriers (Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, and AT&T). If you need to stay reliably in touch by cell phone, please check with your carrier about coverage near Kelly, WY 83011 or call the Moulton Ranch Cabins at 307-733-3749 and speak with Hal or Iola. They can give you specific info about cell phone service and wi-fi access.
“The number one thing that surprised me was how well put-together the Book in a Barn program is.” —Michael Garcia
Book Writing Retreat Schedule
Wednesday, June 28
Check-in between 2:00 and 3:00 p.m.
What’s Your Aim?
Wrangle Your Write Brain
Thursday, June 29
Unleash the Doggies
Corral the Chaos
Put Meat and Beans on the Bones
Friday, June 30
Put More Meat and Beans on the Bones
Keep Your Seat in the Writing Saddle
Celebrate at Dornan’s Chuckwagon
Saturday, July 1
Round Up Time
Check-out by 11 a.m.
“Book in a Barn was phenomenal! It’s one of the best decisions I’ve made in a really long time to be here. Dr. Laura is phenomenal.” —Cari Skrdla
Healthy & Delicious Catered Meals
All meals and snacks throughout the retreat will be catered, except for Friday evening when we’ll eat at Dornan’s Chuckwagon with its close-up view of the Tetons. Dornan’s is a long time local favorite, located just a few miles from the main entrance to Grand Teton National Park. Vegetarian options at the Book Writing Retreat will be available.
If you have special dietary needs, many of the Moulton Ranch Cabins have a kitchenette with a small refrigerator, or you will have access to a refrigerator next to your cabin.
There are no stores to purchase food or snacks within walking distance of the cabins. If necessary, you should buy any special food you need or would like to have on hand before arriving at the retreat. You can find grocery stores at the following locations:
- Jackson, WY 83001 with a population of 9,577 people, has several large grocery stores and is located 15 miles south of the Moulton Ranch Cabins (about a 25-30 minute drive, depending on seasonal tourist traffic).
- Moose, WY 83012 with a population 69 people, has a small grocery store at Dornan’s and is located 5 miles west and south of the Moulton Ranch Cabins (about a 10-15 minute drive).
“I always thought that writing was a solo process. I never got the value of community until I started doing some of Dr. Laura’s pre-writing workshops and came to her retreat.” —Dr. Lori Ebert
Traveling to Jackson Hole*
If you plan to fly to Jackson Hole, I recommend choosing 1 of 3 options:
- Fly into Jackson Hole Airport (JAC). The most convenient and probably most expensive option. Then rent a car and drive 8 miles north to the Moulton Ranch Cabins.
- Fly into Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC). Then rent a car and drive 300 miles north to Jackson (5.5 hours) and then 15 miles north to the Moulton Ranch Cabins.
- Fly into Idaho Falls Regional Airport (IDA). Then rent a car and drive 90 miles east over the beautiful Teton Pass to Jackson (2.5 hours) and then 15 miles north to the Moulton Ranch Cabins.
Since you’ll already be in the area, I encourage you to consider taking a weekend vacation to tour Grand Teton National Park and visit the town of Jackson. If you have more time, you’ll also be within an hour’s drive of Yellowstone National Park.
To get the best rates, make your hotel reservations as soon as possible. This will be the height of the tourist season in the Valley. Just FYI: Motel 6 in Jackson at this time of year costs $200 for one adult per night plus tax.
* Jackson, Wyoming is the largest of several small towns located in the area known as “Jackson Hole,” a valley that gets its name from being entirely surrounded by mountains.
“Dr. Bush took me with such gentleness and such expertise and such patience. She did not embarrass us. Regardless of what level you’re at, she communicated with you at your level. She took me in her heart and embraced me where I was and helped me move to the level where I am. I am an author.” —Deb Thibodeaux
Ready to Ride?
SECURE Your SEAT in the Saddle!
All Inclusive – $2,597
$250 non-refundable deposit on all registrations
- Bring a participating author friend (you will share a queen bed) and the friend will participate for half off or only $1,000.
- Bring a non-participating spouse, partner, or friend and up to 2 children for only $500 more. (Note: to stay in town at Motel 6 costs $200 per night or $600 for 3 nights just for one adult during these dates in Jackson Hole.)
For either of these additional opportunities or to request a payment plan option, please contact Dr. Laura.
Still Have Questions?
Summary of Your Investment
Write Your Book in a Barn Retreat Includes
- Writing guidance and instruction by Laura Bush, Ph.D., a well published author and highly experienced writing coach
- A writing group during and after the retreat
- A writing partner during and after the retreat
- A virtual writing session before the retreat
- A virtual writing session after the retreat
- 10 Kick-Arse Writing Sessions
- Catered Meals and Snacks at Breaks
- 3 Nights Lodging in a beautiful setting next to Grand Teton National Park